And we're back.
After momentarily taking a break from our interview series, we once again delve back in with the help of designer Cody Ross of Priestess NYC. This Dallas-born babe has London’s Central Saint Martins credentials and has the quintessential platnium blone coiffure to prove it. When he isn't working on his Fall '08 collection or playing with kitschy prints, he likes to talk to fashion bloggers like us.
1. Hey Cody, tell us about your clothing line Priestess NYC.
PRIESTESS NYC is womenswear label based in the West Village, NYC. It’s
been around for a few seasons now and continues to go strong around the
world! Priestess is about high-quality 'directional' clothing with a focus
on finish and detail! The clothes are RADICAL and fun!
2. There’s something very playful and witty about your designs. How would
you describe your brand’s aesthetic?
I like to think of it as a ‘modern interpretation of vintage-punk
combined with futurist influences.' . .It's really about elegant street
mix and nuanced styling that flows from Judy and Jane Jetson dresses, lots
of late-80's Vivienne Westwood references and bombastic Futurist themes .
. hence, lots of metallic finishes and sheen representing speed, energy
3. What’s the inspiration behind your Fall ’08 collection?
Fall 08 mixes lots of references, especially kitschy/rocker themes taken
from THE AMAZING Leslie Hall. I’d summarize it as : ‘Leslie Hall collides
with Grace Kelly /Jane Jetson!’ The SS09 stuff is also really cool and
incorporates lots of ‘glam-punk and gothic references.’ I’ll be posting
new styles at the site as they roll-out!
4. We love your jumpsuits. How long have you had a crush on Mickey Mouse?
Cartoon prints are always cool -- especially if they are on
classic/timeless silhouettes like the Priestess NYC rompers/jumpsuits and
alternative blazers! I’ve been applying tons of silly (cartoon) linings
and prints because it makes for 'lunacy and vivid luminosity!' And, of
course, Mickey and Mini are amazing icons!
5. What can we expect from Priestess NYC in the future? Are there any
special projects/collaborations that you’re working on?
Priestess NYC is experiencing rapid growth and we are building a presence
all over Planet Earth! There’s been an amazing response to the clothing
and the new textile jewelry. Accessories (bags/clutches, etc.) are coming
6. If you were going to give advice to an inspiring young designer looking
I’d advise the following: always strive to be innovative and creative but
BE PRACTICAL! . .. Fashion abhors a vacuum .. . so try hard to
identify a void and then fill it! . .and ALWAYS BE HONEST!
And just for a little fun….
7. If there were only three sartorial items that you could wear everyday
during this recessionary period, what would they be?
1. Snakeskin clutches by Greta Cavazzoni (www.gretacavazzoni.com). They
are super-cool and REALLY innovative . .and definitely 'recession-proof!'
. . .
2. I have these kaleidoscopic-African-print trousers that I can’t live
3. My fanny-pack is hot, seriously!
8. Are you team Blair or team Serena?
Hmmm, Team Blair! U?
9. What are you listening to the most on your iPod right now?
Hmmm, Leslie Hall’s hip-hop stuff, for sure! HypoPsycho from London . .
.M.I.A. . . .and my fav is Lucas Banker!
10. Can we be Myspace friends?
Official website: www.priestessnyc.com